The ARC was originally known as the Westside Training Center. It was incorporated on August 31, 1955 by parents of children with disabilities, concerned friends, and the support of community and service organizations. In the early 1970s we moved to our current location at 204 Van Buren Street. The original building has had many additions and renovations to accommodate our growing population. In March of 1981, we became the "Association of Retarded Citizens", The ARC of Taft.
In January of 2001, ARC began construction to develop the empty lot adjacent to our building. It has grown into a beautiful park and garden area. The ARC Park has provided clients with job training, outdoor activities, and produce. What a blessing this project has been to our clients who live on a very limited budget.